MISportsNow Top Moments of 2021: No. 8, No. 7
MISportsNow is taking a look back at some of the top moments from 2021. Our 9&10 sports team voted on the 10 best as we count down all the way to No. 1.
The segment continues with No. 8 and No. 7:
8. Inland Lakes Volleyball Makes First Ever State Finals:
- Inland Lakes competed in its first state championship in volleyball against 21-time state champion Battle Creek St. Philip. Even though the Bulldogs lost in three sets, they exceeded expectations in 2021, winning a district and regional title. It was just their second regional title in program history. The Bulldogs made their first trip to the state semifinals where they defeated Mt. Pleasant Sacred Heart to secure their first state championship appearance.
7. TC St. Francis Boys Tennis Wins First State Title, Three State Champs in Skiing (TC Central girls, TC West boys & Petoskey boys):
- Traverse City St. Francis secured its first state championship in boys tennis, finishing with 34 points, seven ahead of reigning champ Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett.
- The Gladiators won titles in the number two and three singles and number one, two and three doubles. There was only one group where they didn’t have a state semifinalist, showcasing their team effort.
- The gladiators’ previous best finish was runner-up in 2018.
- The Traverse City West boys ski team, Traverse City Central girls ski team and Petoskey boys ski team all took home state titles in their respective divisions.
- For the first time in program history, Traverse City West won the Division 1 state title in boys skiing. The win snapped an 8-year title streak by Marquette.
- The Traverse City Central girls ski team also broke Marquette’s streak of five straight girls state titles in Division 1. The Trojans had finished in second place during two of those state finals. This is their first title since 2013.
- The Petoskey boys ski team won its second straight state title and 10th in 11 years, edging Great North Alpine in both the slalom and giant slalom. Harbor Springs finished in fourth place, while Cadillac finished in sixth.
With an exciting year of local sports coming to a close, MISportsNow is taking a look back at some of the top moments from 2021. Our 9&10 sports team voted on the 10 best moments and we will highlight two each day, counting all the way down to number one.