MISportsNow Top Moments of 2021: Nos. 5-6
MISportsNow is taking a look back at some of the top moments from 2021. Our 9&10 sports team voted on the 10 best as we count down all the way to No. 1.
The segment continues with No. 5 and No. 6:
6. Rudyard Softball, T.C. St. Francis Baseball Make State Championship:
- Rudyard softball made its first appearance in the state championship, going up against state power Unionville-Sebewaing in Div. 4. The Bulldogs lost, 14-1, but it didn’t take away from the historic run made by their team that included a comeback win over No. 1 Holton in the semifinal, with a walkoff home run by Morgan Bickel to send them to the championship game.
- Traverse City St. Francis made its first trip to the state championship in baseball since 2017 and its third overall in program history. The Gladiators fell to Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett by 12. It was an impressive run. “We’re really not supposed to be here but nobody told our kids, so we’re just gonna keep playing until somebody tells us to go home,” head coach Tom Passinault said after their semifinal game.
5. P.J. Maybank III Wins State Title and Named Mr. Golf for Michigan:
- Cheboygan’s P.J. Maybank III had quite the year in boys golf, showcased by the number of awards he won on the golf course. The Oklahoma golf commit won the Lower Peninsula Div. 3 boys golf state title and did it in record-breaking fashion. His score of 9-under set the lowest score for a state tournament round in Div. 3 history, helping secure the title. That also led to him being named the 2021 Mr. Golf by the Michigan Interscholastic Golf Coaches Association.
With an exciting year of local sports coming to a close, MISportsNow is taking a look back at some of the top moments from 2021. Our 9&10 sports team voted on the 10 best moments and we will highlight two each day, counting all the way down to number one.