MISportsNow Top Plays: Week of 5/30-6/5
The MHSAA playoffs are in full swing for spring sports. Let’s take a look at some of the top plays our cameras caught as local athletes came through in big moments.
In addition to these fine plays, there were 34 local athletes who won state titles in their individual events at the track and field state championships this weekend. Plus, the Pickford Panthers won the boys team state title in U.P. Division 3.
5. In the regular season finale, Mackinaw City softball’s Rae Hingston makes the catch just before the ball hits the dirt against Rudyard. Mackinaw City would fall to Rudyard 11-9.
4. Pickford’s Lucy Bennin launches a two-run home run to left field in the district title game against Brimley. Pickford won 13-3 to claim the Panthers first ever softball district crown.
3. Sault Ste. Marie baseball’s Josh Lumsden delivers an extra inning walk-off hit to left field in the Blue Devils’ 3-2 pre-district win against Kingsford.
2. Harbor Springs’ Ella Morrow scores off a free kick from well outside the 18-yard box. Harbor Springs beat Glen Lake 4-1 to claim the district title in girls soccer.
1. Cheboygan baseball won both the district semifinal and district championship games in walk-off fashion. Tyler Balazovic delivered the walk-off blow for the Chiefs in the semis and Jacob Jankoviak delivered in the bottom of the ninth to secure the 1-0 win for Cheboygan in the district title game against Escanaba.