MISportsNow Top Plays: Week of 6/13-6/19
The state championship games this weekend in girls soccer, softball and baseball closed the book on high school sports for the 2021-22 school year.
Before we take a break for the summer, we’ve got one last edition of top plays.
Here’s a look at some of the best of what our cameras caught this past week:
5. Mount Pleasant Sacred Heart’s Kelsey McDonald makes the shoestring catch and doubles off the runner at first to end the inning in the Div. 4 softball state semifinals against Ottawa Lake Whiteford. The Irish fell to Ottawa Lake Whiteford 10-0.
4. Elk Rapids’ Gabby Krakow scores a beautiful goal in the Div. 3 girls soccer state semifinals against Hudsonville Unity Christian. The Elks lost to Unity 3-1.
3. Hillman trailed 5-4 with two outs and a runner on second in the Div. 4 softball state quarterfinals against Pickford. A line drive would have gotten down in left field to tie the game if it wasn’t for Pickford shortstop Chloe May, who reached up and snared the ball to send the Panthers to the state semifinals.
2. Beal City hit two triples in the fourth inning of the Div. 4 baseball state semifinals against Whitmore Lake. The big hits by Hunter Miles and Jack Fussman helped the Aggies break the game open and they went on to win 14-4 to advance to the state championship.
1. Evart’s Skylar Baumgardner sparked a five-run second inning for the Wildcats in the Div. 3 softball semifinal against Grandville Calvin Christian with an inside the park home run. Evart went on to beat Calvin Christian 6-1 to advance to the state championship.