MISportsNow Top Plays: Week of 8/22-8/28
Fall sports are back, which only means it is time for MISportsNow’s Top 5 Plays of the Week:
5. Elk Rapids boys soccer did not take the win over Oxford, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t have their good moments. One of those being a diving stop from Ani Lugin, with a motion that almost mimics the look of Superman.
4. McBain and Kinglsey football battled it out in week one for the fourth straight year. In the last three of those games, Kingsley came out on top. That streak continued this year because of plays like Kyan Fessenden’s break to the outside for the 60-yard touchdown.
3. Ludington boys soccer hosted the Carferry Cup, a matchup between teams from both Michigan and Wisconsin. Ludington took the win over a team from Manitowoc, Wisconsin, 8-0. One of the goals came from the Oriels’ Parker Wendt, who shot a goal so quickly that Manitowoc’s goalie had no time to react.
2. Mason Garcia of Shelby boys soccer made history on Monday. He made seven of the eight goals to shutout Newaygo and also tie for the fifth most goals in state history in a single game.
1. St. Ignace kicked of their football season with a 26-6 win over Tawas. The punt return from Kordell Killscrow was no ordinary play, but catch him hurdling over Tawas’ punter to reach the endzone and score.